How to Make the Perfect Pumpkin Risotto? Put pumpkin in or on anything and I’ll try it, and inevitably love it. Pumpkin is my favorite ingredient and the approaching cooler weather makes it the perfect time to have the unmistakable scent wafting through my apartment as the pumpkin baking and cooking ensues– muffins, pasta, waffles, smoothies, cookies, but most importantly…risotto.
Pumpkin risotto offers the perfect fall and winter meal. Hearty and filling without weighing you down, this recipe is the ideal combination of Italian charm with an American twist. Everyone knows how we obsess over pumpkin, right? The best part of making this flavorful dish is how easy it is. I always had in my mind how complicated and time consuming making an Italian risotto was, but it truly is something we can all do well. After all, something so delicious shouldn’t be kept a secret: here some tips about How to Make the Perfect Pumpkin Risotto
Ingredients for a Perfect Pumpkin Risotto (yields 4 servings)
Total cooking time: 2 ½ hours
- 2 cups rice
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 small-medium pumpkin
- 3-4 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts
How to Make the Perfect Pumpkin Risotto:
- Cut the pumpkin into 3 thick slices and roast in the oven, with a bit of olive oil and salt, on medium heat for about an hour. Time may vary per oven; continuously check to see how soft it becomes. The goal is to be able to effortlessly slice the pumpkin off the skin.
- Place pine nuts on baking sheet and roast on low heat for no more than 4 minutes (most likely less).
- Boil 4 cups of water and put in the chicken or veggie stock cube. Set aside after cube dissolves, leave in pot.
- Peel the pumpkin off the skin and place in a medium sized bowl. With a hand blender, liquidize the pumpkin. You can also use a mixer here. Don’t worry if small lumps still exist, they will be melted later.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter till it starts to bubble.
- Pour in 2 cups of rice and stir till it’s coated with butter.
- Gradually add stock and pumpkin mixture. One ladle of stock at a time, and roughly 2 tbsp of pumpkin at a time. Stir continuously after each addition.
- Continue adding stock and pumpkin, always slowly stirring. At this point, begin to taste the risotto to see if you want more pumpkin puree and stock added. The amount added can be personal preference. You want the risotto to be thicker with the stock absorbed, not like soup.
- When it has the flavor you want and the rice is al dente, stir in the mascarpone, making sure it is all melted before turning off the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in bowls, top with the roasted pine nuts and grated parmesan.
And wah lah! There you have it, foodies.
The best pumpkin risotto is not only delicious, but also simple. What could be better than that? I hope this keeps you warm in the upcoming chilly months and motivates you to keep trying new recipes! Keep checking back on our blog for more tasty treats to satisfy those taste buds. Mangia tutti!
For us, undoubtedly one of the reasons we love Italy is the food. The importance, precision, simplicity are just some of the reasons we love to dine in the grand boot.
If you are in Rome and you’d like to discover the best restaurants and avoid the tourist traps have a look on our blog posts!
Did you enjoy our “How to Make the Perfect Pumpkin Risotto” recipe? We, of course, share lots of our foodie interests with you lovely people with our Local Food Tour in Rome. So if you’re in the Italian capital, have a jolly, festive and delicious meal and cooking experience and see for yourself why we love the culinary delights of this country so much!